WhatsApp Pay is an in-chat system that will allow users to chat with other people and also pay with it. The National Payments Corporation of India (NCPI), which controls all digital retail financial transactions in the country, has finally allowed WhatsApp Pay to become a reality for Indian users. Now WhatsApp can roll out its payment facility for Indian users, but there is a limit. The social media giant is initially allowed to roll-out this feature to a maximum of 20 million users. More information on the story ahead.
The user limit for WhatsApp Pay is initially capped at 20 million users by the regulator. Adding to this, NCPI recently announced that no user payment interface (UPI) platforms such as Google Pay, Paytm UPI and PhonePe would be allowed to carry more than 30% of the total transactions occurring in the country. This order will be implemented from January 2021.
The new regulation by NCPI is likely to affect PhonePe and Google Pay, the country’s two largest UPI platforms. WhatsApp Pay was to be launched in the country long ago, but the social media giant did not get permission from the regulator to launch its services.
According to a WhatsApp blog release, “From today, people across India will be able to send money through WhatsApp. This secure payment experience makes sending money as easy as sending a message. People can safely send money to a family member or share the cost of goods remotely without having to go to a person for cash exchange or a local bank. “
WhatsApp Pay is now available in the country for users running the latest version of Android or iOS. In addition, to send money through WhatsApp Pay, users must have a bank account with a debit card in India.
How can you set up WhatsApp Pay for your device?
- Open the WhatsApp app on your phone and tap on the three-dotted icon, which is placed at the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Payment> Add Payment Method. You will get a list of bank names.
- After choosing the name of the bank, your number (linked to the bank) will be verified. For this, you have to tap on Verify via SMS. Make sure the WhatsApp number is the same which is linked to your bank account.
- Once the verification process is complete, you may need to set up payment. To perform the transaction when it is the same on other applications you will need to set a UPI PIN. After this, you will be able to see the selected bank on the payment page.
WhatsApp Pay: How to send or receive money?
- Open the person’s chat on WhatsApp and go to the attachment icon.
- Tap on the payment and add the amount you want to send to the person. Can also add a note.
- To complete the WhatsApp payment process, you will need to enter your UPI PIN. Once the transaction is completed, you will get a confirmation message.